Men's Basketball Team Takes A 3-0 Record Out West For DIRECTV Classic
Nov. 20, 2012
2012 DIRECTV Classic
Xavier University Musketeers (3-0)
vs. Univ. of the Pacific Tigers (1-2)
Thur., Nov. 22, 2012 at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT
Anaheim Convention Center (Anaheim, Calif.)
Television: ESPNU with play-by-play from Roxy Bernstein and analysis from Stephen Bardo.
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier has had some recent championship success in elite neutral site events. Xavier won the Puerto Rico Classic in the 2008-09 season with wins over Missouri, Virginia Tech and then-No. 13 Memphis and the Chicago Challenge in the 2007-08 season with wins over Southeast Missouri State, Coppin State, Kent State and then-No. 8 Indiana.
• Xavier, 3-0, is coming off a 61-59 win over Robert Morris on Saturday that completed a sweep of the season-opening three-game homestand. Sophomore Justin Martin, who has scored in double figures in all three games this season, led XU with a career-high 17 points on the strength of a career-high four 3-pointers.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis leads the team in scoring at 15.3 ppg. and is second in assists at 6.7 apg. Davis scored a career-high 22 points to go with a career-high and XU sophomore record 15 assists in Xavier’s win over Fairleigh Dickinson on Nov. 9.
• Xavier’s balanced attack has five players averaging in double figures in scoring: seniors Travis Taylor (14.3 ppg.), Jeff Robinson (13.3 ppg.) and Brad Redford (10.0 ppg.) and sophomores Dee Davis (15.3 ppg.) and Justin Martin (12.7 ppg.).
• Xavier’s three seniors are being counted on for leadership, including forwards Travis Taylor and Jeff Robinson and guard Brad Redford, and all three have been major contributors so far. The trio has combined to contributed 37.7 points, 17.3 rebounds and shot a combined 60.9 percent (42-69).
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore will play his first regular season game against Pacific. Philmore, a transfer from Towson, sat out the first three games and last season.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is a proven winner. Mack is 76-30 (.717) overall as the Xavier head coach. Mack has led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his three seasons at the helm, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2012: Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Texas, Wisconsin and Xavier.
• Xavier’s men’s basketball program is ranked 21st in the 2012 rankings released by Basketball Times.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.