Xavier Men to Open Regular Season at Home Against IPFW
Nov. 13, 2008
2008-09 Regular Season Opener
Cintas Center (10,250) • Xavier University Campus in Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: Fox Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). Pre-game show, which airs from 7-7:30 p.m., will be hosted by Ray Crawford.
THE X’S AND O’S
• Xavier played its lone public exhibition game last Friday, beating Findlay, the number one ranked team in NCAA Division II, 79-76.
• Xavier is 4-0 in regular season openers under Sean Miller. XU beat Southeast Missouri State 90-59 in its season opener at Cintas Center last year (11-10-07).
• Xavier has won 18 straight regular season openers (17 at home and one on the road) with its last loss in an opener coming in the 1989-90 “Sweet 16” season to Southern Utah State at Cincinnati Gardens (97-90 on Dec. 2, 1989). XU has won 18 straight home openers as well dating back to that Southern Utah game.
• Xavier enters this season with a 10-game home winning streak at Cintas Center. XU was 16-1 last season in its on campus home.
• Xavier returns two starters from its 2008 NCAA “Elite Eight” team that led the Atlantic 10 in scoring margin (+11.7 ppg.), including last season’s second-leading scorer Derrick Brown (10.9 ppg.) and fourth-leading scorer C.J. Anderson (10.7 ppg.). B.J. Raymond, the fifth-leading scorer at just under double figures (9.9 ppg.), also returns. XU returns 55.4 percent of its scoring from the 2007-08 season.
• Xavier returns its top three rebounders from a team that led the Atlantic 10 and was 29th in the nation in rebounding margin at +5.2 rpg. Junior Derrick Brown (6.5 rpg.), senior C.J. Anderson (5.9 rpg.) and junior Jason Love (5.5 rpg.) are all back for the upcoming season. XU returns 72.2 percent of its rebounding from the 2007-08 season.
• Xavier is one of only nine schools that have made the NCAA Tournament “Elite Eight” multiple times in the last five years. XU made its third straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2008, its seventh in the last eight years and its 18th appearance in the last 26 seasons.
• Xavier, 30-7 last season, set the school record for most wins in an entire season with its first-ever 30-win season. Xavier secured its third straight 20-win season and its 11th in the last 12 years.