No. 10 Xavier Faces No. 15 Lehigh In NCAA Third Round Action
March 17, 2012
vs. No. 15 Seed Lehigh Univ. Mountain Hawks (27-7)
2012 NCAA Tournament Third Round
Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 7:45 p.m. ET
Greensboro Coliseum (22,400) in Greensboro, N.C.
Television: truTV with play-by-play from Jim Nantz and analysis from Clark Kellogg along with sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson. Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former XU standout Joe Sunderman (`79). Analysis will be by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (`88).
• Xavier is shooting to reach at least the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 for the fourth time in five years. XU reached the Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2009 and the Elite Eight in 2008.
• Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2012: Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Texas, Wisconsin and Xavier.
• Xavier is making its 11th NCAA Tournament appearance in the last 12 years, including the Sweet 16 in 2009 and 2010 and the Elite Eight in 2008 and 2004.
• Xavier, 22-12 overall, is coming off a thrilling 67-63 come-from-behind win over Notre Dame on Friday in the NCAA Tournament Second Round. Senior Tu Holloway led Xavier with 25 points, including 17 in the second half. Freshman Dezmine Wellshad 14 points and 11 rebounds. XU trailed by 10 points, 48-38, with under 12 minutes left in the game.
• Xavier, 22-12, has secured its seventh straight 20-win season and its 15th 20-win season in 16 years.
• Xavier leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.310) and is second in overall field-goal percentage defense (.401).
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Hollowayleads the team in scoring at 17.3 ppg. (third in the Atlantic 10) and assists at 5.0 apg. (fourth in the A-10). He is the only A-10 player in the top five in the league in both scoring and assists. He also leads the team in steals (eighth in the A-10 at 1.5 spg.) and free throw percentage (second in A-10 at .864).
• Xavier's Tu Hollowayis third on XU's all-time assist list with 545 assists and has dished off 100 or more assists and led the team in assists for three straight seasons. Holloway is now seventh on XU's all-time scoring list with 1,790 career points.
• Xavier senior Kenny Freaseleads the team in rebounding at 6.0 rpg. and is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.5 ppg. Frease is averaging 12.8 ppg. and 7.1 rpg. over the last eight games.
• Xavier's Kenny Freaseis 45th on Xavier's all-time scoring list with 1,060 career points and is tied for 18th on XU's all-time rebounding list with 708 rebounds.
• Xavier junior Mark Lyonsis second on the team in scoring (11th in the A-10) at 15.3 ppg. Lyons, who now has 1,171 career points, is 30th on XU's all-time scoring list.
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a 2012 A-10 All-Rookie Team selection by the A-10 coaches and 2012 Sporting News A-10 Freshman of the Year, is third on the team in scoring at 10.3 ppg. and in rebounding at 5.1 rpg. Wells recorded his second double-double of the year with 14 points and 11 rebounds vs. Notre Dame on Friday.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men's basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.