Justin Martin has averaged 20 ppg. and 12 rpg. in two games against Creighton this season.
March 14, 2014
No. 3 Seed Xavier Univ. Musketeers (21-11)
Vs. No. 2 Seed Creighton Univ. Bluejays (25-6)
2014 BIG EAST TOURNAMENT SEMIFINALS
Fri., March 14, 2014 at 9:30 p.m. ET
Madison Square Garden in NYC
Television & Radio
Television: FOX Sports 1 with Gus Johnson (play-by-play), Bill Raftery (analyst) and
Erin Andrews (sideline reporter).
Radio: 55KRC-AM and nationally via iHeartRadio with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88). The game is also on Westwood One with Kevin Kugler (pbp) and John Thompson (analyst) calling the action.
The X factors...IN 140 CHARACTERS OR LESS
• Xavier is playing in its first BIG EAST Tournament; XU won 4 tourney titles in the Atlantic 10 (1996-2013) and 6 in the MCC (1980-95).
• Xavier soph. Semaj Christon, unanimous First Team All-BIG EAST and XU’s leading scorer, has scored in double figures in 20 straight games.
• Xavier’s Semaj Christon passed 1,000 career points during his 18-pt. game last night, only the second XU soph. to ever reach that mark.
• Xavier senior Isaiah Philmore has scored 1,135 collegiate points.
• Xavier is 21-11 overall and the No. 3 seed in the BIG EAST Tournament. XU beat No. 6 seed Marquette 68-65 last night.
• Xavier has secured its eighth 20-win season in the last nine years and its 16th
20-win season in the last 18 years.
• Xavier junior Matt Stainbrook, honorable mention All-BIG EAST Conference selection, leads XU in rebounding at 7.5 rpg. (2nd in BIG EAST).
• Xavier junior Matt Stainbrook, who suffered a strained MCL in his left knee at Seton Hall on March 3, returned to action last night.
• Xavier jr. Justin Martin averaged 14.2 ppg. and 5.9 rpg. in BIG EAST reg. season, incl. 19 pts. and 16 reb. vs. Creighton March 1.
• Xavier fr. Jalen Reynolds, who had an XU freshman record-tying 16 reb. on Feb. 25 vs. St. John’s at MSG, has started the last two games.
• Xavier has made two NCAA Tournament Elite Eight appearances in addition to three NCAA Sweet 16 appearances in the last 10 years.
• Xavier, Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova are four of only 14 schools to make at least 7 NCAA Tournaments in the last 8 years.
• Xavier is first in the BIG EAST and ranked tied for 12th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent.