Men's Basketball Prepares To Take On Notre Dame On Friday
March 13, 2012
No. 10 Seed Xavier Univ. Musketeers (21-12)
Television: CBS (WKRC-TV 12 in Cincinnati) with play-by-play from Jim Nantz and analysis from Clark Kellogg along with sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson.
• Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2012: Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Texas, Wisconsin and Xavier.
• Xavier is making its 11th NCAA Tournament appearance in the last 12 years, including the Sweet 16 in 2009 and 2010 and the Elite Eight in 2008 and 2004.
• Xavier is making its 23rd all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament, including its 22nd is the last 30 years. XU’s best finishes were the 2004 and 2008 Elite Eight runs and the 1990, 2009 and 2010 Sweet 16 runs.
• Xavier’s 2011-12 schedule included nine opponents that made the 2012 NCAA Tournament field: Cincinnati, Gonzaga, Long Beach State, Memphis, Purdue, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Temple and Vanderbilt.
• Xavier, 21-12 overall, finished tied for third in the Atlantic 10 Conference at 10-6. Xavier defeated Dayton and Saint Louis in the 2012 Atlantic 10 Championship this past weekend before falling in Sunday’s title game to St. Bonaventure. Senior Tu Holloway and junior Mark Lyons were both named to the All-Championship Team. Holloway averaged 19.7 ppg. for XU’s three games in the tournament.
• Xavier, 21-12, has secured its seventh straight 20-win season and its 15th 20-win season in 16 years.
• Xavier leads the Atlantic 10 in overall field-goal percentage defense (.398) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.306).
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway leads the team in scoring at 17.0 ppg. (fifth in the Atlantic 10) and assists at 5.1 apg. (fourth in the A-10). He is the only A-10 player in the top five in the league in both scoring and assists. He also leads the team in steals (1.5 spg.) and free throw percentage (second in A-10 at .866).
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway is third on XU’s all-time assist list with 543 assists and has dished off 100 or more assists and led the team in assists for three straight seasons. Holloway is now eighth on XU’s all-time scoring list with 1,765 career points.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease leads the team in rebounding (15th in the Atlantic 10 at 6.1 rpg.) and is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.5 ppg. Frease is averaging 13.1 ppg. and 7.7 rpg. over the last seven games.
• Xavier’s Kenny Frease is 46th on Xavier’s all-time scoring list with 1,050 career points and is 19th on XU’s all-time rebounding list with 705 rebounds.
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons is second on the team in scoring (10th in the A-10) at 15.5 ppg. Lyons, who now has 1,163 career points, is 30th on XU’s all-time scoring list.
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a 2012 A-10 All-Rookie Team selection by the A-10 coaches and 2012 Sporting News A-10 Freshman of the Year, is third on the team in scoring at 10.2 ppg. and in rebounding at 4.9 rpg.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.