Men's Basketball Heads To Brooklyn For The Atlantic 10 Championship
March 12, 2013
2013 ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONSHIP FIRST ROUND
No. 7 Seed Xavier Univ. Musketeers (17-13, 9-7 A-10)
vs. No. 10 Seed Saint Joseph’s U. Hawks (17-12, 8-8 A-10)
Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. ET
Barclays Center (18,000) in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Television: NBC Sports Network with play-by-play from Mike Korey and analysis from David Kaplan. Brooke Weisbrod will be the sideline reporter.
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 17-13 overall and 9-7 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, earned the no. 7 seed.
• Xavier is playing a first round Atlantic 10 Championship game for only the third time in 13 years. XU had earned first-round byes 10 times in the last 12 A-10 Championships, including the last six. XU’s last two titles out of four all-time have actually been captured the last two times it has had to play a first-round game, 2006 and 2004.
• Xavier is second in field goal percentage defense (.4050) in the A-10, a fraction of a percentage point behind Saint Joseph’s (.4045). XU is second in scoring defense (62.6 ppg.), and third in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.321). XU is second in the A-10 in rebounding margin at +5.0 rpg.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor, the 2012-13 Atlantic 10 Conference Most Improved Player and an Atlantic 10 Conference Third Team selection, is the A-10’s rebound leader at 9.0 rpg., including an A-10 best 10.2 rpg. in Atlantic 10 action. Taylor, Xavier’s second-leading scorer at 11.8 ppg., had 19 points, a career-high 19 rebounds and a career-high six blocked shots in the Saint Louis win on March 6.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon, XU’s first-ever Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year selection, was also named to the 2012-13 A-10 Second Team and a member of the A-10 All-Rookie Team. Christon, a seven-time A-10 Rookie of the Week, leads XU in scoring (tied for sixth overall and first among A-10 freshmen at 15.4 ppg.) and has scored in double figures in 18 straight games. He leads XU in assists (fifth overall and second among A-10 freshmen at 4.7 apg.) and steals (11th overall in A-10 at 1.4 spg.).
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon is now second on XU’s all-time freshman scoring list with 446 points and is 47 points shy of breaking the XU freshman scoring record. His 135 assists leave him five assists shy of breaking the XU freshman assist record.
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore has averaged 11.2 ppg. and shot 58.5 percent from the field over the last 10 games.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 90-43 (.677) overall and 48-16 (.750) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12). Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986. Brad Redford and Travis Taylor have already completed the work for their bachelor’s degrees.