Tu Holloway has led Xavier at 21 points per game in this year's A-10 Championship.
March 11, 2012
No. 3 Seed Xavier Univ. Musketeers (21-11, 10-6 A-10)
vs. No. 4 Seed St. Bonaventure Bonnies (19-11, 10-6 A-10)
Atlantic 10 Conference Championship Game
Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. ET
Boardwalk Hall (10,000) in Atlantic City, N.J.
Television: CBS (WKRC-TV 12 in Cincinnati) with play-by-play from Verne Lundquist and analysis from Bill Raftery.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former XU standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
• Xavier has recorded a 25-12 (.676) record in A-10 Championship play in 17 tournaments. Xavier has won four Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament Championships, including 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2006. Xavier is 4-0 in four previous A-10 Championship Game appearances.
• Xavier’s Chris Mack and St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt spent two years together on the staff of the late Xavier head coach Skip Prosser (1999-01). XU made the 2000 NIT and 2001 NCAA Tournament in those two seasons. St. Bona assistant coach Jeff Massey is a 1995 Xavier graduate and former star guard for the Musketeers.
• Xavier’s Chris Mack is coaching in his 100th game as the XU head coach.
• Xavier, 21-11 overall and ranked No. 37 in the latest RPI ratings for collegerpi.com (3-10-12), is coming off a 71-64 win over Saint Louis in the A-10 Semifinals. Senior Tu Holloway scored a game-high 21 points while freshman Dezmine Wells contributed 18 points, including 16 in the second half.
• Xavier, 21-11, has secured its seventh straight 20-win season and its 15th 20-win season in 16 years.
• Xavier leads the Atlantic 10 in overall field-goal percentage defense (.398) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.306).
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway leads the team in scoring at 17.0 ppg. (fifth in the Atlantic 10) and assists at 5.2 apg. (fourth in the A-10). He is the only A-10 player in the top five in the league in both scoring and assists. He also leads the team in steals (1.6 spg.) and free throw percentage (third in A-10 at .866).
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway is third on XU’s all-time assist list with 540 assists and has dished off 100 or more assists and led the team in three straight seasons. Holloway is now eighth on XU’s all-time scoring list with 1,748 career points.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease leads the team in rebounding (14th in the Atlantic 10 at 6.2 rpg.) and is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.6 ppg. Frease is averaging 14.2 ppg. and 8.3 rpg. over the last six games, while shooting 56.1 percent from the field.
• Xavier’s Kenny Frease is tied for 47th on Xavier’s all-time scoring list with 1,043 career points and is 19th on XU’s all-time rebounding list with 701 rebounds.
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons is second on the team in scoring (10th in the A-10) at 15.5 ppg. Lyons, who now has 1,147 career points, is 30th on XU’s all-time scoring list.
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a 2012 A-10 All-Rookie Team selection by the A-10 coaches and 2012 Sporting News A-10 Freshman of the Year, is third on the team in scoring at 10.3 ppg. and in rebounding at 5.0 rpg. Wells scored 18 points vs. Saint Louis yesterday, one shy of his career high 19-point games at UMass and at Memphis.
• Xavier made its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, one of only 12 schools that can say that. Xavier has made 10 of the last 11 NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.