Semaj Christon is a BIG EAST First Team selection.
March 10, 2014
No. 3 Seed Xavier Univ. Musketeers (20-11, 10-8 BIG EAST) vs.
No. 6 Seed Marquette Univ. Golden Eagles (17-14, 9-9 BIG EAST)
2014 BIG EAST TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS
Thur., March 13, 2014 at 9:30 p.m. ET
Madison Square Garden in NYC
Television & Radio
Television: FOX Sports 1 with Gus Johnson (play-by-play), Bill Raftery (analyst) and
Erin Andrews (sideline reporter).
Radio: 55KRC-AM and nationally via iHeartRadio with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X factors...In 140 Characters Or Less
• Xavier is playing in its first BIG EAST Tournament; XU won 4 tourney titles in the Atlantic 10 (1996-2013) and 6 in the MCC (1980-95).
• Xavier soph. Semaj Christon, a unanimous First Team All-BIG EAST Conference selection, has scored in double figures in 19 straight games.
• Xavier’s Semaj Christon leads XU in scoring (5th in BE at 17.0 ppg.), including a career-high 28 vs. Marquette on Jan. 9.
• Xavier is 20-11 overall. XU tied for third in the BIG EAST Conference at 10-8 and earned the No. 3 seed in the BIG EAST Tournament.
• Xavier secured its eighth 20-win season in the last nine years and its 16th 20-win season in the last 18 years.
• Xavier junior Matt Stainbrook, honorable mention All-BIG EAST Conference selection, leads XU in rebounding at 7.8 rpg. (2nd in BIG EAST).
• Xavier junior Matt Stainbrook missed the Villanova game on March 6 due to a strained MCL in his left knee.
• Xavier jr. Justin Martin has averaged 14.2 ppg. and 5.9 rpg. in BIG EAST play, including 19 pts. and a career-high 16 reb. vs. Creighton.
• Xavier fr. Jalen Reynolds scored 17 pts. and grabbed an XU freshman record-tying 16 reb. in a Feb. 25 win over St. John’s at MSG.
• Xavier has made two NCAA Tournament Elite Eight appearances in addition to three NCAA Sweet 16 appearances in the last 10 years.
• Xavier, Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova are four of only 15 schools to make at least 7 NCAA Tournaments in the last 8 years.
• Xavier is first in the BIG EAST and ranked tied for 12th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent.