Men's Basketball Team Opens Atlantic 10 Championship Play On Friday Night
March 9, 2010
No. 2 Seed Xavier U. Musketeers (23-7, 14-2 A-10) vs. No. 7 Seed Dayton Flyers (20-11, 8-8)
Radio: 700 WLW-AM or 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s and O’s
• No. 24 Xavier secred a share of its fourth straight Atlantic 10 Conference regular season title with a 93-72 win over St. Bonaventure on Saturday. Both Xavier and Temple finished 14-2.
• Xavier’s 14-year Atlantic 10 history, which began in the 1995-96 season, includes eight regular season and four tournament titles. Xavier has won the last four A-10 Regular Season Championships: 2010 (Co-Champs), 2009, 2008 and 2007 (Co-Champs).
• Xavier won the Atlantic 10 Tournament Championship in 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2006. Only Xavier (1998 and 2002) and George Washington (2005) have won the tournament and regular season titles in the same season since XU joined the A-10.
• No. 24 Xavier is 23-7 overall and has won a season-high seven straight games and 11 of its last 12 games. XU has secured its fifth straight 20-win season and its 13th 20-win season in 14 years.
• Xavier is ranked 24th in this week’s Associated Press Poll, which is up from 25th last week. This is the fourth straight season XU has earned an AP ranking. Xavier is now ranked number 21 in the latest RPI rankings for collegerpi.com (3-8-10).
• Xavier sophomore Jordan Crawford leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring at 19.7 ppg. Crawford was named this week as a Sporting News Third Team All-American and the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Year by Sporting News and foxsports.com. In addition, Crawford was named to the USBWA All-District V Team.
• Xavier’s lone senior, Jason Love, was named Second Team All-Atlantic 10 by Sporting News and Third Team All-Atlantic 10 by the A-10 coaches. Love leads the team in rebounding at 8.6 rpg. (fifth in A-10) and is second in scoring at 11.9 ppg. Love holds a 105-31 (.772) record during his Xavier career so far, breaking the school record of 103 wins set by B.J. Raymond.
• Xavier leads the Atlantic 10 in scoring offense (79.9 ppg.), scoring margin (+11.7 ppg.), field goal percentage (.470) and three-point field goal percentage (.377).
• Xavier sophomore Terrell Holloway, who leads the A-10 in free-throw percentage at 84.9 percent, had a 24-point effort in the Feb. 28 win over Richmond.
• Xavier junior Jamel McLean has averaged 11.9 ppg. and 9.9 rpg. during the current seven-game winning streak.
• Xavier made its fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2009 and its eighth in the last nine years, including the NCAA Sweet 16 this past season (2009) and the Elite Eight in 2004 and 2008.