Men's Basketball Prepares To Return To Conference Play On Saturday
Feb. 28, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (16-11, 8-5 A-10)
vs. U. of Massachusetts Minutemen (17-9, 7-6 A-10)
Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) in Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from Steve Lappas.
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 16-11 overall and 8-5 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, is coming off a 64-62 win over No. 19/17 Memphis on Tuesday at Cintas Center. Senior Travis Taylor recorded his ninth double-double of the season to lead Xavier with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
• Xavier is first in field goal percentage defense (.405) in the A-10, second in scoring defense (61.8 ppg.), and second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.315). XU is second in the Atlantic 10 in rebounding margin at +5.0 rpg. and has out-rebounded 15 of the last 17 opponents, including a 45-36 edge over Memphis.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is the Atlantic 10 Conference’s rebound leader at 8.7 rpg. and XU’s second-leading scorer at 11.8 ppg. Xavier has only had one player ever lead the Atlantic 10 in rebounding and that was former National Player of the Year and two-time NBA All-Star David West, who is now with the Indiana Pacers.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon, five-time A-10 Rookie of the Week, leads XU in scoring (seventh overall and first among freshmen in the A-10 at 15.0 ppg.) and has scored in double figures in 15 straight games. Christon also leads XU in assists (sixth overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 4.5 apg.) and steals (1.4 spg.).
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon is now tied with Nick Daniels (1975-76) for third place on XU’s all-time freshman scoring list with 389 points. Christon passed David West (386 points in 1999-2000) on the list during his 13-point game against Memphis and is just three points from taking over second from Gary Massa (391 in 1977-78). His 117 assists leave him 23 assists shy of breaking the XU freshman assist record.
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore has averaged 10.6 ppg. over the last seven games, while shooting 60.0 percent (24-of-40) from the field.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis, who sat out the Memphis game on Tuesday and the last 13:35 of the VCU game on Feb. 23 due to injury, is third on the team in scoring (8.9 ppg.) and second in assists (13th in A-10 at 3.5 apg.).
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 89-41 (.685) overall and 47-14 (.770) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12). Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.