Travis Taylor leads the Atlantic 10 in rebounding.
Feb. 25, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (15-11, 8-5 A-10)
vs. No. 19/17 U. of Memphis Tigers (24-3, 13-0 C-USA)
Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) in Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: ESPN2 with play-by-play from Carter Blackburn and analysis from Mark Adams.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79) and analysis from Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88). The XU broadcast is available via iHeart Radio. The Compass Media Networks also will provide a separate national broadcast.
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 15-11 overall and 8-5 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, opened a 17-point lead early in the second half but couldn’t hold the lead in a 75-71 loss to No. 24 VCU on Saturday. Sophomore Dee Davis and senior Brad Redford led Xavier with 15 points each, although Davis missed the final 13:35 due to injury.
• Xavier is playing the second game of a season-high four-game homestand. This is Xavier’s final regular season non-conference game.
• Xavier is second in scoring defense (61.8 ppg.) in the A-10, second in field goal percentage defense (.405), and second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.310). XU is second in the Atlantic 10 in rebounding margin at +4.9 rpg.
• Xavier, which hosted then-No. 24 VCU on Saturday, hosts No. 19/17 Memphis on Feb. 26, UMass on March 2 and No. 18/19 Saint Louis on March 6 before finishing the regular season at No. 20/21 Butler.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is the Atlantic 10 Conference’s rebound leader at 8.6 rpg. and XU’s second-leading scorer at 11.6 ppg. He leads the A-10 at 9.8 rpg. for A-10 games only, including a career-high 17 rebounds at Rhode Island on Feb. 20.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon, five-time A-10 Rookie of the Week, leads XU in scoring (seventh overall and first among freshmen in the A-10 at 15.0 ppg.) and has scored in double figures in 14 straight games. Christon also leads XU in assists (sixth overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 4.5 apg.) and steals (1.4 spg.).
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore has averaged 9.8 ppg. over the last six games, while shooting 62.1 percent (18-of-29) from the field.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin, who is at 11.0 ppg. and 6.0 rpg. over the last five games, is fourth on the team in scoring (8.5 ppg.) and second in rebounding (5.0 rpg.).
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is third on the team in scoring (8.9 ppg.) and second in assists (13th in A-10 at 3.5 apg.).
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 88-41 (.682) overall and 47-14 (.770) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12). Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.