Men's Basketball Team Will Wear Throwback Uniforms When Its Hosts Richmond In An ESPN2 Clash
Feb. 23, 2012
Xavier University Musketeers (17-10, 8-5 Atlantic 10)
Television: ESPN2 with play-by-play from Bob Picozzi and analysis from LaPhonso Ellis.
• Xavier, 17-10 overall and 8-5 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, is coming off an 80-73 loss at Massachusetts on Tuesday. Freshman Dezmine Wells led Xavier with a career-high tying 19 points, including 4-of-5 3-pointers.
• CollegeRPI.com (2-23-12) has Xavier at No. 53. Eight Atlantic 10 teams are among the top 92 teams, according to CollegeRPI.com.
• Xavier is second in the Atlantic 10 Conference in overall field-goal percentage defense (.396).
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway leads the team in scoring at 17.0 ppg. (fourth in the Atlantic 10 Conference) and leads the team in assists at 5.6 apg. (fourth in the A-10). Holloway is the only A-10 player in the top five in the league in both scoring and assists. He also leads the team in steals (eighth in the A-10 at 1.6 spg.) and free throw percentage (third in the A-10 at .863).
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway earned Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week honors for his efforts against Dayton that included 32 points, six rebounds, five assists and two steals. It is his second A-10 weekly honor this season.
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway is third on XU’s all-time assist list with 524 assists and has dished off 100 or more assists in three straight seasons.
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway is 11th on XU’s all-time scoring list with 1,662 career points and is 28 shy of the top 10 (10th place Nick Daniels with 1,690 from 1975-79).
• Xavier’s Tu Holloway has hit 627 career free throws, which is 35 free throws shy of the school record set by 2003 National Player of the Year David West (1999-2003). Holloway’s career free throw percentage is on pace to break the school record also.
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons is second on the team in scoring (eighth in the A-10) at 16.0 ppg. Lyons, who now has 1,081 career points, is 41st on XU’s all-time scoring list.
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a preseason A-10 All-Rookie selection, is third on the team in scoring at 10.3 ppg. and in rebounding at 5.0 rpg. He had career-high scoring games with 19 points at Massachusetts on Feb. 21 and at Memphis on Feb. 4.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.6 ppg. and second in rebounding at 5.7 rpg. Frease is just 30 points shy of 1,000 career points.
• Xavier graduate student Andre Walker leads the team in rebounding at 5.9 rpg., including a career-high 14 rebounds at Fordham on Jan. 7 and at Vanderbilt on Nov. 28.
• Xavier made its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, one of only 12 schools that can say that. Xavier has made 10 of the last 11 NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.