Men's Basketball Hosts No. 24 VCU On Saturday
Feb. 21, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (15-10, 8-4 A-10)
vs. No. 24 Virginia Commonwealth University Rams (21-6, 9-3 A-10)
Sat., Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) in Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83).
Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 15-10 overall and 8-4 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, enjoyed a big second half in a 55-42 win at Rhode Island on Wednesday. Freshman Semaj Christon scored a game-high 16 points, while senior Travis Taylor grabbed a career-high 17 rebounds to go with 13 points for his eighth double-double of the season.
• Xavier, coming off two straight road games and seven of its last 10 on the road, opens a season-high four-game homestand with the VCU game.
• Xavier is second in scoring defense (61.2 ppg.) in the A-10, second in field goal percentage defense (.404), and second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.312).
• Xavier is third in the Atlantic 10 in rebounding margin at +5.2 rpg. Xavier, which leads the A-10 in rebounding margin for A-10 games at +8.2 rpg., has out-rebounded 14 of its last 15 opponents. XU tied in the rebounding battle in the other game.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is XU’s rebound leader at 8.6 rpg. (third in the A-10) and second-leading scorer at 11.8 ppg. He leads the A-10 at 9.9 rpg. for A-10 games only.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon, five-time A-10 Rookie of the Week, leads XU in scoring (seventh overall and first among freshmen in the A-10 at 15.2 ppg.) and has scored in double figures in 13 straight games. Christon also leads XU in assists (sixth overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 4.4 apg.) and steals (11th overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 1.5 spg.).
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore has averaged 9.6 ppg. over the last five games, while shooting 60 percent (15-of-25) from the field.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin, who has averaged 11.0 ppg. and 5.5 rpg. over the last four games, is fourth on the team in scoring (8.4 ppg.) and tied for second in rebounding (4.9 rpg.).
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is third on the team in scoring (8.7 ppg.) and second in assists (13th in A-10 at 3.5 apg.).
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 88-40 (.688) overall and 47-13 (.783) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.