No. 14 Xavier Back Home To Host Atlantic 10 Conference Action On Saturday
Feb. 12, 2009
No. 14/14 Xavier University Musketeers (20-4, 8-2 A-10)
Fordham University Rams (3-18, 1-8 A-10)
Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 4 p.m. ET
Television: CBS College Sports production (broadcast locally on Fox Sports Ohio) with play-by-play from Jason Knapp and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83).
Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Next for X: XU visits Charlotte on Thur., Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. ET for an ESPN2 game.
Xavier Media Information: Contact Associate Athletic Director for Media
Relations Tom Eiser -- email: email@example.com, office: 513-745-3124,
cell: 513-382-5565, fax: 513-745-2825.
The X’s and O’s
• Xavier, 20-4 overall and 8-2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, is coming off its second straight loss on the road, a 71-58 setback on Wednesday night at Dayton.
• Xavier leads the A-10 in two major statistical categories: scoring margin (+9.5 ppg.) and rebounding margin (sixth in the nation at +8.6 rpg.). XU is second in the A-10 in three-point field goal percentage (seventh in the nation at .394) and field goal percentage defense (16th in the nation at .387).
• Xavier senior B.J. Raymond has averaged 20.0 ppg. and 4.3 rpg. over the last six games, while shooting 56.5 percent (39-of-69) from the field, including 53.7 percent (22-of-41) from three-point territory.
• Xavier, 20-4, has now clinched four straight 20-win seasons and 12 20-win seasons in the past 13 years.
• Xavier is 14th in the Associated Press Poll and in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. XU is ranked seventh in the latest RPI ratings for collegerpi.com (2-12-09), including a schedule strength of 16th. XU is 6-3 against teams in the current RPI top 50.
• Xavier’s defense has held its first 24 opponents to 38.7 percent shooting for the season. XU was ranked 16th in the nation for field goal percentage defense in the latest NCAA rankings (2-8-09). Over the last four games, though, opponents have shot 46.6 percent from the field as XU has recorded a 2-2 record.
• Xavier is 16-0 this season when it holds the opponent to 70 points or less. XU is 4-4 when the opponent scores 71 points or more.
• Xavier’s offense has improved over the last 13 games, while XU has recorded an 11-2 record. XU is scoring 75.5 ppg. and shooting 49.3 percent from the field and 67.9 percent from the free throw line over the last 13 games compared with 70.6 ppg. for the first 11 games while shooting 44.3 percent from the field and 66.4 percent from the free throw line.
• Xavier is one of only nine schools that have made the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight multiple times in the last five years. XU made its third straight NCAA berth in 2008.