Men's Basketball Team Looks To Bounce Back From First Atlantic 10 Loss
Feb. 3, 2011
Xavier University Musketeers (15-6, 7-1 Atlantic 10)
Saint Louis U. Billikens (8-13, 3-5 Atlantic 10)
Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 11 a.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) at Xavier University
Television: ESPNU with play-by-play from Sam Gore and analysis from Dickey Simpkins.
Jesuit Spotlight Game: The nationwide Jesuit Basketball Spotlight (JBS) project uses Jesuit basketball to raise awareness of Jesuit education. This week Xavier junior Tu Holloway earned the JBS Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. Xavier is one of the 28 Jesuit schools, as are four of its 2010-11 opponents: Gonzaga and fellow Atlantic 10 Conference members Fordham, Saint Joseph’s and Saint Louis.
• Xavier, 15-6 overall and 7-1 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, saw its seven-game winning streak and unblemished Atlantic 10 season come to an end with a 66-62 loss at Charlotte on Wednesday.
• Xavier is ranked 27th in the latest RPI ratings (2-3-11) for collegerpi.com. XU’s strength of schedule stands 29th.
• Xavier has won an Atlantic 10 Conference record 36 straight A-10 home games. That is a big reason why Xavier has won at least a share of the Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season Championship each of the last four seasons.
• Xavier junior Tu Holloway, who was named ESPN.com National Player of the Week this week for his efforts at Richmond and vs. George Washington, was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week for the fifth time this season. Holloway leads the team and is ranked in the top two in the A-10 in three major categories: scoring at 20.7 ppg. (first in the A-10 and 11th in the nation), assists at 5.2 apg. (second in the A-10) and free throw percentage (first in the A-10 at .867).
• Xavier junior Tu Holloway is one of just four Division I players that are averaging at least 20 points and five assists on the year.
• Xavier sophomore Mark Lyons has averaged 19.0 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists over the last five games, including a career-high tying 25 points at Charlotte on Wednesday. Lyons has hit 45.7 percent (16-of-35) from three-point range for eight A-10 games compared with 34.5 in non-conference play.
• Xavier junior Kenny Frease, who has scored in double figures in six of the last seven and 13 of the last 17 games, is third in the A-10 in field goal percentage at 55.6 percent. Frease hit 8-of-10 shots in a 19-point effort at Richmond.
• Xavier senior Jamel McLean, who leads the team in rebounding at 8.9 rpg. (second in the Atlantic 10) to go with 11.5 ppg., recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds at Charlotte on Wednesday. McLean is second in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage at 56.6 percent.
• Xavier second-year head coach Chris Mack, 41, is 41-15 (.732) overall and 21-3 (.875) in Atlantic 10 Conference regular season play.
• Xavier and Michigan State are the only teams in all of NCAA Division I that have made at least the Sweet 16 in each of the last three NCAA Tournaments. XU is one of only 12 schools that have made five straight NCAA Tournament appearances. XU has made nine of the last 10 NCAA Tournaments.