Semaj Christon hit the game-winning jumper in the closing minute against Dayton on Wednesday.
Feb. 1, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (12-8, 5-2 A-10)
at Univ. of Richmond Spiders (13-9, 3-4 A-10)
Sat., Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. ET
Robins Center (9,071) in Richmond, Va.
Television: FOX Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Jim Day and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). Day also hosts the “Musketeers Live” half-hour pre-game show at 5:30 p.m.
Radio: 700WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 12-8 overall and 5-2 in the Atlantic 10, defeated Dayton 66-61 on Wednesday night at Cintas Center behind 14 points from sophomore Dee Davis, who was named the Blackburn/McCafferty MVP by the media. XU dominated the rebounding battle 36-18, including 20-10 in offensive rebounds. Senior Travis Taylor grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds as XU defeated UD for the 28th straight time in Cincinnati.
• Xavier’s game at Richmond starts a two-game road swing. In fact, Xavier plays four of its next five on the road.
• Xavier is third in the Atlantic 10 Conference in rebounding margin at +4.8 rpg., although XU leads the A-10 in rebounding margin for A-10 games only at +9.4 rpg. XU has outrebounded 10 straight opponents, including all seven A-10 opponents.
• Xavier is second in scoring defense (60.8 ppg.) in the A-10, fourth in field goal percentage defense (.409), and fifth in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.318).
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon leads XU in scoring (10th overall and first among freshmen in the A-10 at 14.8 ppg.), assists (sixth overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 4.6 apg.) and steals (13th in the A-10 at 1.5 spg.).
• Xavier senior Brad Redford, who is fourth in the A-10 in 3-point percentage (.448) for all games, has averaged 9.7 ppg. in A-10 play so far.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is XU’s rebound leader at 8.2 rpg. (fifth in the Atlantic 10), while standing second in scoring at 11.3 ppg.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis, who led XU with 14 points in the Dayton win, is third on the team in scoring (8.9 ppg.) and second in assists (ninth in A-10 at 3.7 apg.).
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 85-38 (.691) overall and 44-11 (.800) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.