No. 10 Xavier Welcomes UMass to Cintas Center on Saturday
Jan. 30, 2009
No. 10/10 Xavier University Musketeers (18-2, 6-0 A-10)
Television: ESPNU with play-by-play from Jim Barbar and analysis from Dave Kaplan.
THE X’S AND O’S
• Xavier, 18-2, is 10th in the Associated Press Poll and in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. XU is ranked fifth in the latest RPI ratings for collegerpi.com (1-28-09).
• Xavier, 18-2 overall and 6-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, won its ninth straight game, 69-47, over visiting Charlotte on Wednesday night. Senior B.J. Raymond led Xavier with 23 points on the strength of 6-of-8 three-pointers, to go with a career-high tying 10 rebounds. Raymond has recorded back-to-back 20-point games.
• Xavier’s 6-0 start in the Atlantic 10 is its best start since winning its first nine A-10 games in the 2001-02 season.
• Xavier enters the UMass game with a 19-game home court winning streak in Atlantic 10 Conference play.
• Xavier finished 12-2 in non-conference play this season, beating the likes of LSU,Memphis, Virginia Tech, Missouri, Auburn, Miami (Ohio), Cincinnati and Virginia.
• Xavier’s defense has held 14 of its fi rst 20 opponents to under 40.0 percent shooting from the field. Only Duke has shot over 42 percent against XU this season. XU opponents,who comprise the nation’s 12th-toughest schedule according to collegerpi.com,are shooting 37.1 percent for the season. That ranks XU seventh in the nation for field goal percentage defense in the latest NCAA rankings (1-25-09).
• Xavier junior Jason Love has averaged 9.2 points and 6.5 rebounds in Atlantic 10 action, while shooting 61.5 percent from the field and 82.1 percent from the free throw line. Love’s season average of 6.4 rpg. is ranked 12th in the A-10.
• Xavier freshman Kenny Frease was named Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week for his efforts versus La Salle, at St. Bonaventure and at LSU. He followed up that week with a career-high 17-point game against Charlotte. He has averaged 10.8 ppg. over the last four games, while shooting 73.1 percent (19-of-26) from the field.
• Xavier is one of only nine schools that have made the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight multiple times in the last five years. XU made its third straight NCAA appearance in 2008. XU has won at least 20 games in three straight seasons and 11 times in 12 years.