Semaj Christon leads Xavier in scoring and assists.
Jan. 28, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (11-8, 4-2 A-10)
vs. Univ. of Dayton Flyers (12-7, 2-3 A-10)
Wed., Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:00 p.m. ET
XU’s Cintas Center in Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Tom McCarthy and analysis from Seth Davis and former Xavier captain Steve Wolf (XU’83).
Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier and Dayton have met 158 times, the first time being in the 1919-20 season. The two teams have met 59 times more than any other XU opponent. XU has won 27 straight games against the Dayton Flyers in Cincinnati. Dayton’s last win over XU in Cincinnati came in the 1980-81 season.
• Xavier, 11-8 overall and 4-2 in the Atlantic 10, lost its second straight A-10 road game on Saturday at Saint Joseph’s, 59-49, despite holding a 49-47 lead with under four minutes left. Freshman Semaj Christon led all scorers with16 points.
• Xavier is third in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage defense (.405), second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.311), and second in scoring defense (60.7 ppg.).
• Xavier is playing its lone home game in a five-game stretch. XU is coming off a two-game road swing and, after the Dayton game, starts another two-game road swing at Richmond on Saturday.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon leads XU in scoring (10th overall and first among freshmen in the A-10 at 14.9 ppg.), assists (sixth overall and second among freshmen in the A-10 at 4.7 apg.) and steals (15th in the A-10 at 1.5 spg.).
• Xavier senior Brad Redford, who is third in the A-10 in 3-point percentage (.447) for all games, has averaged 10.8 ppg. in A-10 play so far.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is XU’s rebound leader at 8.0 rpg. (tied for fourth in the Atlantic 10), while standing second in scoring at 11.5 ppg.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin, who is fourth on the team in scoring (8.2 ppg.) and in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), has recorded nine double-figure scoring games.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis, who missed two games recently with a wrist injury, is third on the team in scoring (8.6 ppg.) and second in assists (ninth in A-10 at 3.8 apg.).
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 84-38 (.688) overall and 43-11 (.796) in A-10 regular season play as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.