Mark Lyons is just nine points shy of 1,000 career points.
Jan. 26, 2012
Xavier University Musketeers (13-7, 4-3 Atlantic 10)
at Charlotte 49ers (10-9, 2-4 Atlantic 10)
Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 7 p.m. ET
Halton Arena (9,105) in Charlotte, N.C.
Television: FOX Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former XU captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). Jim Day hosts the “Musketeers Live” pre-game show beginning at 6:30 p.m. and provides sideline reporting.
Radio: 55KRC-AM and Sirius channel 92 and XM channel 190 with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer and former XU standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
• Xavier, 13-7 overall and 4-3 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, saw its 43-game Atlantic 10 Conference home winning streak come to an end with a 73-68 loss to Saint Louis on Wednesday at Cintas Center. Junior Mark Lyons led XU with a career-high 27 points, while senior Tu Holloway added 22 points and five assists.
• Xavier is ranked 50th in the latest collegerpi.com ratings (1-26-12).
• Xavier third-year head coach Chris Mack has 10 players averaging over 11 minutes per game this season.
• Xavier is ranked first in the Atlantic 10 Conference in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.288) and second in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage defense (.392).
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons leads the team in scoring and is second in the Atlantic 10 at 17.2 ppg., and is second on the team in assists at 2.7 apg. Lyons has scored at least 20 points in two straight games and three of the last four games.
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway is second on the team in scoring at 16.1 ppg. (sixth in the Atlantic 10 Conference) and leads the team in assists at 5.6 apg. (fourth in the A-10). Holloway also leads the team in steals (seventh in the A-10 at 1.8 spg.) and free throw percentage (third in the A-10 at .860).
• Xavier senior Tu Holloway has dished off 100 or more assists in three straight seasons, including 100 this season so far. Holloway is one of only eight Xavier players that has at least three 100-assist seasons and the first since Gary Lumpkin and Lenny Brown (1995-99 for both). Holloway is fourth on XU’s all-time assist list with 484 and just 12 shy of third place Keith Walker (496 from 1976-80).
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a preseason A-10 All-Rookie selection, is third on the team in scoring at 9.5 ppg. and in rebounding at 5.3 rpg. He has grabbed a team-high 6.4 rpg. in Atlantic 10 Conference games.
• Xavier junior Jeff Robinson has averaged 10.8 ppg. and 4.4 rpg. in 21.8 minutes per game over the last five games while shooting 77.4 percent (24-of-31) from the field over that stretch.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.7 ppg., second in rebounding at 5.7 rpg. and first in blocks at 1.4 bpg.
• Xavier graduate student Andre Walker leads the team in rebounding at 6.0 rpg., including a career-high tying 14 rebounds at Fordham on Jan. 7.
• Xavier made its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, one of only 12 schools that can say that. Xavier has made 10 of the last 11 NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.