Jeff Robinson scored a season-high 13 points on Saturday.
Jan. 16, 2012
Xavier University Musketeers (12-5, 3-1 Atlantic 10)
vs. Saint Joseph’s Univ. Hawks (12-6, 2-2 Atlantic 10)
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) at Xavier University
Television: CBS Sports Network Regional production (shown locally on FOX Sports Ohio) with play-by-play from Tom McCarthy and analysis from former
Xavier captain Steve Wolf (XU ‘83).
Radio: 55KRC-AM and Sirius channel 92 with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer and former XU standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
• Xavier, 12-5 overall and 3-1 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, is coming off its third straight win, a 77-64 win over St. Bonaventure on Saturday at Cintas Center. Junior Mark Lyons led four Xavier players in double figures in scoring with 21 points to go with five assists, while junior Jeff Robinson scored a season-high 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting from the field.
• Xavier is ranked 43rd in the latest NCAA RPI released Monday. Collegerpi.com also has XU 43rd. In fact, collegerpi.com had 11 of the 14 Atlantic 10 teams ranked in the top 100 on Jan. 16, best among all leagues and two more than second-place Big 10 and Big East. Xavier’s next opponent, Saint Joseph’s, is No. 53 in both RPI listings.
• Xavier’s bench has averaged 20.2 ppg. in its 12 wins this season, including 27.0 ppg. during the current winning streak. XU’s bench averaged 10.4 ppg. in its five losses.
• Xavier has won a conference record 42 home games in a row in Atlantic 10 play.
• Xavier third-year head coach Chris Mack has 10 players averaging over 11 minutes per game this season.
• Xavier is ranked first in the A-10 in rebounding margin (+4.1 rpg.) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.280) and is second in field goal percentage defense (.385).
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons leads the team in scoring and is fourth in the Atlantic 10 at 16.3 ppg., and is second on the team in assists at 2.7 apg.
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway is second on the team in scoring at 16.0 ppg. (tied for seventh in the Atlantic 10 Conference) and leads the team in assists at 5.2 apg. (fourth in the A-10). Holloway also leads the team in steals (sixth in the A-10 at 1.9 spg.) and free throw percentage (fourth in the A-10 at .843).
• Xavier freshman Dezmine Wells, a preseason A-10 All-Rookie selection, is third on the team in scoring at 10.4 ppg. and in rebounding at 5.4 rpg., including 12.8 ppg. and a team-high 7.8 rpg. in Atlantic 10 Conference games.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.9 ppg., second in rebounding at 5.7 rpg. and first in blocks at 1.5 bpg.
• Xavier graduate student Andre Walker leads the team in rebounding at 6.6 rpg. (11th in the Atlantic 10), including a career-high tying 14 rebounds at Fordham on Jan. 7. He is also averaging 6.0 points and 2.4 assists per game, including a career-high seven assists against St. Bonaventure on Jan. 14.
• Xavier made its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, one of only 12 schools that can say that. Xavier has made 10 of the last 11 NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.