Men's Basketball Squad Looks To Go 2-0 In The Atlantic 10 Conference
Jan. 11, 2013
Xavier University Musketeers (8-6, 1-0 A-10)
vs. George Washington U. Colonials (7-7, 1-0 A-10)
Sat., Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. ET
XU’s Cintas Center (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Television: CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Dave Ryan and analysis from Pete Gillen, the all-time winningest coach in Xavier history.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 8-6 overall and 1-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, opened A-10 play with a 57-52 win over Temple on Thursday night at Cintas Center. The win snapped XU’s four-game losing streak. Freshman Semaj Christon led XU scorers with 16 points.
• Xavier leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in field goal percentage (.464). XU ranks third in the A-10 in both field goal percentage defense (.398) and scoring defense (60.6 ppg.), while ranking second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.297).
• Xavier has won outright or shared nine Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season Championships since joining the league for the 1995-96 season, including five of the last six seasons. This is Xavier’s 18th season in the Atlantic 10.
• Xavier is 48-1 (.980) vs. Atlantic 10 Conference competition at Cintas Center since the 2007 season.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor contributed 11 points and 10 rebounds to the Temple win, his second straight double-double and his fourth double-double in five games. Taylor is XU’s rebound leader at 7.6 rpg. (4th in Atlantic 10), while standing second in scoring at 11.7 ppg. Taylor ranks first on the team and 10th in the A-10 in field goal percentage (.538). He has averaged 14.6 ppg. and 9.6 rpg. over the last five games.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon leads XU in scoring (13.6 ppg.), assists (5th in A-10 at 4.6 apg.) and steals (1.5 spg.). He is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin is fourth on the team in scoring (9.2 ppg.) and second in rebounding (5.5 rpg.), including a career-high 12 rebounds at Tennessee. Martin has recorded nine double-figure scoring games, including 10 vs. Temple.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is third on the team in scoring at 9.5 ppg. and is second in assists at 3.7 apg. Davis was limited to 10 minutes against Temple on Thursday due to a first-half injury.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 81-36 (.692) overall as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.