Men's Basketball Team Prepares For Annual Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout
SKYLINE CHILI CROSSTOWN SHOOTOUT
No. 24/25 U. of Cincinnati Bearcats (14-0, 2-0 Big East)
Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7 p.m. ET
Fifth Third Arena (13,176) at UC • Cincinnati, Ohio
Television: ESPN2 with play-by-play from Dave Pasch and analysis from Bob Knight.
THE X'S AND O'S
• This is the 78th meeting between Xavier and Cincinnati. Cincinnati leads the series 47-30, although Xavier has won three straight, six of the last eight, eight of the last 11 and 10 of the last 14 meetings.
• The Xavier-Cincinnati game is being broadcast by one of the ESPN networks for the 13th straight year.
• Xavier, 8-4, is coming off 71-67 loss to Florida on Dec. 31 at Cintas Center, a loss that snapped XU's school record 30-game home court winning streak. Junior Tu Holloway led all scorers with 26 points to go with six assists.
• Xavier freshman guard/forward Jay Canty is expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks of action. An MRI last week revealed that he has a stress fracture in his right foot. The Musketeers are down to nine healthy scholarship players.
• Xavier has four players averaging in double figures in scoring led by junior Tu Holloway (21.3 ppg.), sophomore Mark Lyons (12.6 ppg.), junior Kenny Frease (11.7 ppg.) and senior Jamel McLean (10.1 ppg.).
• Xavier junior Tu Holloway, who had a triple-double against Wake Forest, is averaging 21.3 ppg. (second in the Atlantic 10 and 16th in the nation), 4.3 rpg., 5.6 apg. (second in the A-10 and 28th in the nation) and 1.7 spg. (tied for fifth in the A-10). He leads the team in free throw percentage (tied for second in the A-10 at 84.2 percent).
• Xavier junior Kenny Frease, who has scored in double figures in seven of the last eight games, is ranked fifth in the Atlantic 10 and 50th in the nation in field goal percentage at 54.8 percent.
• Xavier senior Jamel McLean, who leads the team in rebounding at 9.5 rpg. (second in the Atlantic 10 and 36th in the nation) to go with 10.1 ppg., has grabbed double-figure rebounds in seven games this season, including 10 versus Florida.
• Xavier sophomore Mark Lyons is second on the team in scoring and assists. Lyons is scoring 12.6 ppg. and averaging 3.1 apg., including his 18-point, five assist game against Albany on Dec. 28.
• Xavier head coach Chris Mack, who celebrated his 41st birthday last Thursday (Dec. 30), is 34-13 (.723) in his second year at the helm for the Musketeers.