Nov. 27, 2010
Xavier University Musketeers vs. Wofford College Terriers
Saturday, November 27, 2010, Cintas Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Xavier Musketeers rallied from an eight-point deficit late in the second half, got a tip-in off a missed free throw with a second remaining in the first overtime to send the game into a second overtime, and rallied in the third overtime to defeat Wofford, 94-90. The Musketeers were led by Tu Holloway who scored 28 points. Mark Lyons and Jamel McLean each had career highs with 25 and 22 points, respectively, and Kenny Frease chipped in 12 points. Frease grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds while McLean added 12 boards. Tu Holloway had 7 assists. Wofford was led by Noah Dahlman who scored 33 points. Jamar Diggs added 15 points and Terry Martin and Cameron Rundles each had 10 points. Tim Johnson had 6 rebounds and 6 assists to lead the Terriers.
- Xavier extended it home winning streak to 27 games, which is third-longest active home winning mark in the country and the longest by any XU team since moving into Cintas Center for the 2000-01 season. During the 10-plus years playing at its on-campus arena, XU is now 138-17 (.890) overall and 68-7 (.907) against non-conference opponents at Cintas Center.
- This was the second time this season that XU has scored 30 points from the free throw line. XU also scored 30 (on 37 attempts) from the charity stripe against Iowa at the Paradise Jam (11-21-10).
- Xavier recorded a season-high 49 rebounds. The previous high was 44 against IPFW (11-16-10). XU outrebounded Wofford by 20 boards, the largest margin of the season for the Musketeers.
- Tonight's contest was the second overtime game of the season for the Musketeers. The other was a Xavier 76-66 victory over IPFW on November 16. Tonight was the fourth triple-overtime game in XU history and the first since January 8, 2005, when the Musketeers lost to UMass 90-86, in Amherst.
- Tonight's game was the third straight overtime game for Wofford. On November 21 the Terriers defeated George Mason, 82-79, and then on November 24 they lost to Air Force, 72-66.
- Kenny Frease and Jamel McLean each registered double-doubles in scoring and rebounding, marking the first time an XU duo has accomplished the feat in the same game since Derrick Brown (20 points, 10 rebounds) and C.J. Anderson (17 points, 11 rebounds) did so at Cincinnati (12-13-08).
- Kenny Frease registered the second double-double of his career with 12 points and a career-high 18 rebounds. His other double-double came against Duquesne when he scored 13 points and grabbed what was then a career-high 12 rebounds (1-28-10). He also pulled down 12 rebounds once before against LSU (12-29-09).
- Mark Lyons scored a career-high 25 points. His previous high was 19 points against Saint Joseph (2-17-10).
- Tu Holloway scored 20-plus points for the fifth time in six games this season with his 28-point performance tonight. He was 14-for-15 from the free throw line, the ninth time in his career that he's scored in double figures from the free throw line in a game and the third time this season.
- Jamel McLean scored a career-high 22 points. His previous career high was 21 at Wake Forest (1-3-10). He also registered the seventh double-double of his XU career with a season-best 12 rebounds. It was the fourth time in five games this season he's grabbed 10 or more rebounds.
- Wofford's Noah Dahlman scored a season-high 33 points. His previous high was 19 against Georgetown (11-19-10). His career high in scoring is 36 points at College of Charleston (2-26-09). He also had a career-high 5 assists. His previous career high was 2 assists, six times previously.
- Xavier opened the game with a 13-4 run following a three-point play by Dante Jackson at 16:07. Tu Holloway had 6 points to lead the Musketeers.
- Trailing 44-33 at 14:43, Wofford went on a 25-4 run to take a 58-50 lead at 4:23. During the run the Terriers shot 10-for-13 from the field. Noah Dahlman led the charge with 9 points.
- Trailing 58-50 at 4:23, XU went on a 12-2 run to take a 62-60 lead with 28 seconds remaining. Tu Hollway led the way going 8-for-8 from the charity stripe.
Up Next: The Musketeers travel to Oxford, Ohio, to face the Miami Redhawks on Wednesday, December 1, at 7:00 p.m. XU leads the all-time series 51-46, including victories in the last two meetings. Last year, the Musketeers defeated Miami, 70-67, on December 23, 2010, at Cintas Center. In that contest, the Redhawks erased a 17-point first-half lead to take 43-42 lead with just under 17 minutes left in the contest. The Musketeers battled back to lead by as many as eight points, but Miami clawed back again and just missed a potential game-tying three-pointer at the buzzer. Jordan Crawford paced the Musketeers with 19 points while Mark Lyons added 13 points and Jason Love chipped in 11. XU has faced Miami 97 times since they first met during the 1920-21 season. The only team XU has played more often is Dayton (152 games).