Xavier Athletics Licensing

Retail Locations

The Xavier University Office of Trademark Licensing is responsible for promoting and protecting the University's reputation by ensuring proper usage of its name and symbols. Xavier strongly believes in the need to protect and positively enhance its name and image by monitoring how its official trademarks are used in public. This is an effort that encompasses managing a list of licensed vendors who have been approved to produce products that embody XU Athletics.

This page is designed to assist those who wish to learn more about the Office of Trademark Licensing and to explain the licensing process. The Office of Trademark Licensing, in cooperation with the Strategic Marketing Affiliates (SMA), administers the licensing program.

Xavier Office of Trademark Licensing
Xavier Department of Athletics
Cintas Center
3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45207-7530
Phone (513) 745-3604
FAX (513) 745-4390

Style Guide
Licensee List

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become licensed with Xavier University?
To begin the process, please contact our licensing agency:

Strategic Marketing Affiliates
8900 Keystone Crossing
Suite 605
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Telephone: (317) 669-0808
Email: questions@smaworks.com
Online at smaworks.com

What qualifies as a trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the athletics department qualifies as a trademark.

What are the registered marks of the Xavier University?
For a complete overview of Xavier University's registered marks, please view the Official Style Guide.

Why have a licensing program?
A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.

What products can be licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Office of Trademark Licensing. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who needs a license?
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license.

Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?
Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University's Office of Trademark Licensing. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

What about using the University's name or logo on a website?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the Office of Trademark Licensing. The internet has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Office of Trademark Licensing.

When am I able to use the trademarks of Xavier University?
Any trademark which identifies or is associated with the Xavier University may not be used without prior written permission from the University's Office of Trademark Licensing.

What is the Strategic Marketing Affiliates?
The Strategic Marketing Affiliates is the licensing representative for Xavier University. As the University's representative, SMA is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who is licensed with the University?
Either the University's Office of Trademark Licensing or SMA can provide a list of current licensees for the University's merchandise. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and SMA can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company. The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label signifies merchandise has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and a portion of the purchase is returned to the University. So before you buy, look for the official label that tells you that your souvenir is as authentic as your support for the Musketeers.